Federal Work Study FAQ

FWS (Federal Work Study) FAQ

The Federal Work Study program provides vital training and funding for those in need of money for college. The program is designed to provide students that require additional money with part time employment that can be used to make up the difference. In essence, these are government subsidized jobs. There are usually fewer jobs than applicants, so make sure you get your application in early. Here are some other frequently asked questions about the program.

  1. How much do these jobs pay?
    FWS jobs are required to pay at least the established minimum wage, though some of them will pay more. The actual pay rate will vary with the job grade and the experience required to perform it.
  2. Who is eligible for the FWS program?
    Anyone in severe financial need and who meets the enrolment requirements is eligible for the program. Undergraduate students are required to be enrolled for at least six hours per semester, while graduate students must be enrolled for at least three hours per semester,
  3. Can you receive raises while on FWS jobs?
    Yes, you can get a raise. Generally, you must be on the job for at least one full semester before you are eligible for a raise. However, that will be dictated by the job you receive and your employer.
  4. What kind of jobs can you get?
    Each job is designed to help train you in your chosen field of study, though they cannot always work out that way. The college or university will be your most likely employer, though local nonprofit organizations may also have a position. Each position is generally community service oriented.
  5. Can you combine other financial aid with FWS?
    Yes, you can. In fact, you are encouraged to apply for as much financial aid as possible. FWS will usually not meet your total tuition and school cost requirements, so other aid will be needed. You can combine it with Stafford loans, grants and scholarships.
  6. Can I continue in my position after my FWS runs out?
    You cannot continue in your position if this is the case. After your FWS funding (which pays your wages) runs out, you must withdraw from the position. It is your responsibility and that of your employer to ensure that you do not exceed these limitations. Any over payment will be rolled over to the accounts of the employer and must be repaid to the government.
Both comments and pings are currently closed.